Gallery: Laois Heritage Journal launch

Pat Somers

Reporter:

Pat Somers

Email:

pat@leinsterexpress.ie

The Journal Committee of the Laois Heritage Society launched their 2016 Journal in recently at Heath House.

Michael Starrett, the CEO of the Heritage Council performed the launch.

 This year’s journal includes articles on topics such as Damer’s Gold (in relation to Emo and the Earls of Portarlington – Chris Booth), Thomas Prior (from Rathdowney & founder of RDS – Teddy Fennelly), Grattan’s connection with Maryborough (PJ Tynan), the derivation of the name ‘Emo’, the Clondarrig Graveyard (behind what was Lewis’ garage – Seamus Dunne), Americans and Tradespersons in 19c Maryborough (John Dunne),  Health connections with the 1920s hunger strike (Jackie Hyland), Heath House itself (Jackie Hyland), Heath Hall centenary (Mary Lalor), Fr Brangall - a Missionary Priest from Shanahoe (Margo Coogan), Coolbanagher Mediaeval Fort (Sean Murra), 1916 (both the commemoration – Catherine Casey- and the Old IRA – Shane O’Rourke), the Old Fort of Maryborough (Robert McLoughlan), Peter Dunne and the Eureka Stockade (Michael Parsons) and more. The authors are well known historians from within the Society.