ALTHOUGH no formal announcement has yet been made about the festival, it is understood that negotiations are at a very delicate stage for this year’s Electric Picnic. The fate of the festival has still not been decided but sources believe that it will happen and fans can expect an announcement early this month.
There has been many months of speculation and many rumours about the fate of the festival, but no one is sure of the festival’s outcome after a company takeover late last year threw a spanner in the Picnic works. From Daft Punk headlining, to David Bowie, to a new look scaled back EP - the longer time passes, the more the rumours grow.
However a representative from the PR company for Electric Picnic told the Leinster Express that their team had heard no news at all yet. “We have heard nothing at all yet, but we will let people know when we hear. Rumours are just rumours”, she said.
Businesses in Stradbally are hoping that the festival will be back to the town this summer.
Collette Murphy who is manager in Supervalu in the town, is looking forward to it’s return. “We would like to see it going ahead, it is great to have it for the town”.
Anne Simpson who runs the Gala shop in the town told the Leinster Express that it would be a huge loss for the town if it didn’t go ahead. “It is not just the weekend, there are other aspects as well, such as all the workers who come in for the weeks before and the weeks after.
“A lot of people are saying that it is a shame and that it is a huge loss to the town, but then others are saying that it will go ahead”.
Anne added that the lack of early bird tickets this year may put some people off heading along to the festival if it does take place.
“At this stage people have decided what they are doing for the summer and people have holidays planned. When the early birds weren’t there at Christmas it was bad. I have three teenagers and I would have bought their tickets then as presents, and I’m sure that a lot of people are like that”.
It seems that even the people who should be in the know about the fate of EP are not, as festival promoter John Reynolds gave nothing away to Marian Finucane while speaking on her show recently.
He said that he “hopes and believes” that the festival will happen, but added that “at the moment there’s probably too many chefs going to spoil the broth”.
As well as Reynolds, partners in EP include UK based Festival Republic and Ireland’s MCD, who are co-owners of Festival Republic with Live Nation.
Those looking for answers from the Picnic’s Facebook page have been having no look either, and as the angry comments are piling up, the last response from the Picnic was over two months ago on January 21. However Festival Republic on their Facebook page said as late as March 20 that “Electric Picnic is going ahead. Keep checking the website for further details.”
So revellers will have to wait just a little bit longer to see if they will be dusting their wellies and heading Stradbally bound this September.