Garda say there is no evidence of shots fired during violent incident in Portlaoise

Conor Ganly

Reporter:

Conor Ganly

Email:

news@leinsterexpress.ie

Gardaí say they have no evidence to back up witness reports that shots were fired during a violent incident in Portlaoise this morning which left house 'smashed up according to witnesses'.

Gardaí are on the scene at O'Moore Place off the Mountmellick Road following an incident this morning, Wednesday, November 29.

Witness reported that an initial confrontation between a man and the occupants of the house was followed soon afterwards by a more violent incident. It is understood that the man returned with a number of other people armed with items to use as weapons. 

The property, which is owned by Laois County Council, subsequently suffered extensive damage. 

Local people told the Leinster Express that a man was witnessed emerging from the property during the incident with a weapon and shots were discharged. However, Gardaí said there was 'absolutely no evidence' of this so far.

The Leinster Express also understands that local people may be afraid to tell gardaí what they saw for fear of reprisals.

One local person added that there have been ongoing issues with the occupants of the house at the centre of the incident.