Court - Cash bail for man charged with heroin supply in Portarlington

Drugs

Court - Cash bail for man charged with heroin supply in Portarlington

A 25-year-old man charged with supplying heroin in Portarlington has been released on bail after his mother acted as cash surety for him.

Kenneth Roche (25), with an address given at 173 North Road, Finglas, Dublin, was charged with two counts of having drugs for sale or supply, and drug possession, in Portarlington on November 26 and December 17, 2015.

He was further charged with drug possession, no driving licence, no insurance and false insurance disc, at Market Square, Portarlington, on July 13 this year.

When he first came before Portlaoise District Court on November 10, the accused was remanded in custody to November 17, with consent to bail on his own bond of €100 and independent surety of €200.

The State requested a number of bail conditions on the accused.

At last week’s court, the State said it was satisfied with the accused’s mother acting as surety and the accused was granted bail.

Bail conditions are that the accused must observe a curfew of 10pm to 7am, and allow the gardaí to check the premises during the curfew; he must sign on daily at the garda station; he must surrender his passport and not apply for travel documents; he must provide the gardaí with a mobile phone number; and he must not associate with any known drug users.

Defence, barrister Ms Louise Troy said she had not yet received statements from the gardaí in the case.

Ms Troy indicated that her client would be pleading not guilty to some or all of the charges.

Inspector Eamon Curley said statements were available that day on the alleged drugs charges, but it would be three weeks for the statements in relation to the alleged motoring offences.

The matter was put back to December 15, for a guilty plea to be entered, or for a hearing date to be fixed.