€170k for roadworks schemes

Councillors welcomed the green light for roadworks this year under the Community Involvement in Roadworks scheme.

Councillors welcomed the green light for roadworks this year under the Community Involvement in Roadworks scheme.

Laois County Council received an allocation of €170,000 for Community Involvement Schemes this year, with six of out eleven getting the approval to go ahead this year.

As part of the scheme, there must be a local contribution of 25% of the overall cost of the scheme, with the other 75% coming in the form of a government grant.

Schemes in rural areas which were approved by councillors at last week’s meeting of Laois County Council include Ralphsgrove, Ballyroan; Whitefields, Mountrath and Kyledellig, Borris-in-Ossory.

Also getting the green light was the Residents Association for Rossmore View, Killeshin; Paddy Bracken for Pattisons Estate, Mountmellick and Tom O’Carroll, Senior Engineer, for O’Moore Place, Portlaoise.

Proposing Rossmore, Cllr Padrag Fleming said it the estate had been there since 2001. Cllr Mary Sweeney welcomed the inclusion of Ralphsgrove, where she said had been raised at a number of area meetings.

“I’m glad its finally coming to fruition,” she said.

Cllr Marty Phelan said the scheme was meant to be predominantly for rural area. “There is only three on there, that’s hardly good enough,” he said.

Cllr Alan Hand said he had no problem with the list.

“The ones most in need are getting attention. O’Moore Place is long overdue. It’s very bad. The council have patched it up but now it’s getting proper attention,” he said.