Ballyfin parish needs more time to develop a childcare facility some five years after permission was granted.
In 2008 Ballyfin 6:14, a sub-committee of Ballyfin Parish Council, applied to change the use of the old school at Cappinrush to a childcare facility.
They wanted to remove two portacabins, demolish flat roof extensions and build an extension behind the old school.
The building is listed as a protected structure built in 1902. It is vacant since February, 2008 when the new school opened.
A letter to Laois County Council from Fr Patrick Hennessy confirms it is parish owned property and the development will be a community-based, non-profit venture .
Laois County Council granted permission in 2008 but stipulated that it must be community-based and not a private enterprise. The HSE also gave its goahead.
The parish, represented by Ballyfin Community Development Association, has now applied for an extension of time on the development, with a decision due from the council by October 6.