Issued threats when gardaí searched home

A former Portlaoise man now living in Limerick was last week given the chance to make a donation to the court poor box, having been convicted of acting aggressively toward gardaí who were conducting a drug search at his home.

A former Portlaoise man now living in Limerick was last week given the chance to make a donation to the court poor box, having been convicted of acting aggressively toward gardaí who were conducting a drug search at his home.

Before the district court was Wayne Donlon, formerly of 17 Millbrook, Portlaoise, but now living in Limerick. He was charged with threatening or abusive behaviour, at Millbrook on January 23 last year.

Inspector Aidan Farrelly gave evidence that during a garda search of Donlon’s house, the defendant became abusive towards the officers and issued threats.

Donlon has previous convictions.

Defence, Mr Philip Meagher said that Donlon apologised for his behaviour and had also written a letter of apology to the gardaí, a letter which Mr Meagher described as heartfelt.

“He hasn’t had any association with drugs for the last six years,” said Mr Meagher, explaining that there had been small children in the house during the search, one of whom got very upset by the manner in which the gardaí arrived.

“In a flash moment he reacted the way he did,” said Mr Meagher, going on to say that a neighbouring property was subsequently raided by the gardaí two days later, which may provide some context to the incident.

Judge Catherine Staines told Donlon to make a €200 contribution to the court, and the matter was put back to December 11.