Claimed stolen items was rubbish

A MOUNTMELLICK man who claimed he thought a number of items he took without permission were rubbish was given a suspended sentence at last week’s court.

A MOUNTMELLICK man who claimed he thought a number of items he took without permission were rubbish was given a suspended sentence at last week’s court.

Patrick Cawley, 1 Derrycloney, Mountmellick, committed the offence at Killeen, Mountmellick, on March 21 last year.

Inspector Kieran Keyes gave evidence that the injured party saw a Silver Passat leaving the scene with a number of items in a trailer on the back. When questioned by gardaí, Cawley claimed he thought the stolen property was rubbish. It took €1,000 to replace the items.

Cawley has 20 previous convictions, including one for theft.

Defence, Mr Philip Meagher said Cawley had been out with his brother on the day making calls to properties, where they would seek permission to remove old items from fields and ditches. On the way home they saw the items and thought they were rubbish, and as there wasn’t an adjacent house to call to for permission they just took them.

“He accepts it was wrong and he apologises,” said Mr Meagher.

Cawley was given a six-month sentence, suspended for two years. There were also public order charges, which were put back to November 15.