The promised consultation on the future of Abbeyleix Hospital has failed to get underway, the HSE has confirmed.
The HSE first pledged itself to consult on the hospital’s closure after three patients brought the executive to the High Court in December 2011.
The HSE finally announced on Friday, April 27, two days before a second protest against the proposed closure of Abbeyleix, that it would “commence consultation on the planning and provision of services for older people in the Midland counties Laois, Longford, Offaly and Westmeath on the week of May 8.”
Last week, when contacted by the Leinster Express, a spokesperson for the HSE said “full details of the process would be announced as soon as it commences, which we expect will be before the end of this week.”
However, following a second request for the details of the consultation process, the HSE confirmed this afternoon (Monday, May 14) that the process had not yet commenced, but said there would be a consultation process.
“There will be a consultation process. It has not yet commenced. I will be in touch with you with full details as soon as we are ready to publish,” the spokesperson said.