Couple deny caravan they were living in was stolen

A COUPLE from Mountmellick have pleaded not guilty to a charge of having a stolen caravan on their premises.

A COUPLE from Mountmellick have pleaded not guilty to a charge of having a stolen caravan on their premises.

Anthony and Roxanne Cawley, 1 Derrycloney, Mountmellick, were charged with handling stolen property at their home address, on July 25 last year.

Inspector Dermot Drea gave evidence that the couple were sleeping in the caravan at the back of their home. The caravan had been reported stolen from Northern Ireland and cost €6,000.

Defence, Mr Philip Meagher said that his clients were contesting the charge.

“This is very serious on the face of it,” remarked Judge Catherine Staines. “They’re not denying possession?”

“They paid €4,700 for it,” Mr Meagher told the judge.

The matter has gone back to February 21.