The Midoc out-of-hours emergency GP service for the Midland region announces its opening hours for the Christmas period.
The HSE says Christmas is a busy time for everyone, with people preparing to spend this special time with their families and friends. There are three public holidays between Christmas and New Year which Midoc will cover in addition to their usual evening and weekend service.
The HSE asks potential patients to be extra mindful that the service is only for patients who require urgent GP medical care during the festive season.
The HSE midland area Midoc service is an urgent out-of-hours family doctor service operating in Westmeath, Laois, Offaly, and Longford.
It is important for people to remember that Midoc is not a drop-in service, and should only be used for cases that cannot wait for the next routine surgery. You can contact MIDOC at 1850 302 702.
Midoc will provide its normal range of services as deemed medically appropriate, including free nurse advice. If you are unsure who to call, you can phone your GP’s telephone number and they will have a message on the phone telling you the number to contact to access the doctor who is covering for them.
Midoc will offer full coverage in the region on the public holidays from 18:00 Monday 24th December until 08:00 am on Thursday 27th December 2012 and from 18:00 on Monday 31st December 2012 until 08:00 am on Wednesday 2nd January 2013
The MIDOC opening arrangements are as follows;
Saturday 22nd December - 08:00 - 08:00 (24 hours - service as normal)
Sunday 23rd December - 08:00 - 08:00 (24 hours - service as normal)
Monday 24th December - 18:00 - 08:00 (service as normal)
Tuesday 25th December - 08:00 - 08:00 (24 hours - public holiday)
Wednesday 26th December - 08:00 - 08:00 (24 hours - public holiday)
Thursday 27th December - 18:00 - 08:00 (service as normal)
Friday 28th December - 18:00 - 08:00 (service as normal)
Saturday 29th December - 08:00 - 08:00 (24 hours - service as normal)
Sunday 30th December - 08:00 - 08:00 (24 hours - service as normal)
Monday 31st December - 18:00 - 08:00 (service as normal)
Tuesday 1st January 2013 08:00 - 08:00 (24 hours - public holiday)
Wednesday 2nd January 2013 18:00 - 08:00 (service as normal)
To assist Midoc in providing the best quality service, the public can help the Midoc staff by having the following information available:
- patient’s name, if known to you
- contact telephone number – landline, if possible, plus mobile
- current location of the patient
- patient’s date of birth or age
- name of patient’s own family doctor.
- patient’s medical card number, if applicable
- details of the patient’s current medication list.
- If you think the patient is in immediate danger, say so as soon as your call is answered and then follow the instructions.
- Do not call for routine matters that can wait until your doctor is back in his/her surgery.
- Make sure that you get prescriptions filled so that you have enough medication over the holiday season.
- have your medicine cabinet/first aid box stocked.