Abbeyleix estate open day for Laois Guide Dogs

THE gates of one of the most beautiful gardens in Ireland will be open to the public on Sunday July 29. The Abbeyleix and Portlaoise Lion’s Clubs are coming together to host the Open Day in the gardens of Abbeyleix Estate and raise funds for Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind from 2pm to 6pm.

THE gates of one of the most beautiful gardens in Ireland will be open to the public on Sunday July 29. The Abbeyleix and Portlaoise Lion’s Clubs are coming together to host the Open Day in the gardens of Abbeyleix Estate and raise funds for Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind from 2pm to 6pm.

“It’s a lovely family day out,” said Dick Connell, from the Laois Branch of Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind. “Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind is a very worthy cause, which deserves our full support,” he added and we are delighted that the estate will be opened for us. The estate and gardens were bought by Sir David Davies in 1995 from the DeVesci family who owned the estate from 1710. The estate is famed for the 250 acres of oak woodland, which is the last and largest lowland oak forest in the country. One of the main attractions in the Estate is The King’s Garden, named after Malachy O’Moore whose tomb it is understood was discovered when the glass house was being constructed in the 1880’s. Entrance fee on the day is €5 and everyone’s support is greatly appreciated.