Goals key as Clonaslee see off Park Ratheniska

Having drawn in the league, the stage seemed set for another close encounter between the two teams but first half goals from Glen McEvoy and John Rigney helped Clonaslee/St Manman’s see off the Park-Ratheniska threat in Emo on Thursday evening.

Intermediate Football Championship Gp 2

Clonaslee St Manman’s 2-14

Park Ratheniska 0-12


The heavy rain at the beginning of the match made playing conditions difficult and Park-Ratheniska got off to the stronger start with John Sugrue sending a long diagonal ball into corner forward Darragh Nolan, who laid it off to Benny Conroy for the game’s first score.

Clonaslee opened their scoring with a free from Glen McEvoy in the third minute but Park-Ratheniska kicked three unanswered points from Sean Tynan, Stephen Knowles and John Sugrue, Brendan Fingleton playing a pivotal role in much of these scores.

This however was to be the last time Park-Ratheniska would lead in the game. Clonaslee were slow to settle but the turning point came in the tenth minute when they were awarded a penalty after Willie Young was fouled running through the Park-Ratheniska defence. Glen McEvoy stepped up and kicked it low and hard into the left corner. This was followed up by a point from Darren Hogan. A point apiece from Glen McEvoy and Ger Dunne saw a complete turnaround with Clonaslee now leading 1-4 to 0-4 after a six minute scoring blitz.

Park Ratheniska got back within a point with scores coming from John Sugrue and Darragh Nolan but Clonaslee pulled away in the last five minutes of the opening half with Willie Young scoring two great points and John Rigney punishing the Park-Ratheniska’s full back’s error and scoring his sides’ second goal. This left the half time score at 2-6 to 0-6.

Clonaslee’s Ger Dunne and Park-Ratheniska’s Sean Tynan exchanged points before Stephen Knowles set up substitute Ciaran Delaney for a point within a minute of him being introduced.

Substitute Donncha O’Cathail added to this with a point a minute later but that would be Park-Ratheniska’s last score for fifteen minutes. Ger Dunne scored three terrific points for Clonaslee and John Rigney also added a score.

Park-Ratheniska kicked numerous wides in the second half and squandered a lot of ball despite dominating in midfield, often making the wrong pass or over carrying at crucial stages in front of the goals.

Ultimately this is what separated the teams with Clonaslee’s full forward line proving pivotal in their victory, executing their scoring chances.

Scorers – Clonaslee/St Manmans: Glen McEvoy 1-5 (0-5f, 1-0p), Ger Dunne 0-5, John Rigney 1-1, Willie Young 0-2, Darren Hogan 0-1. Park Ratheniska: John Sugrue and Sean Tynan 0-2 each, Benny Conroy, Stephen Knowles, Darragh Nolan, Ciaran Delaney, Donncha O Cathail, Denis Brennan, Mark Delaney, Jimmy Langton 0-1 each.

Clonaslee/St Manmans: PJ Fitzpatrick, Shane Conroy, Willie Murray, Mark McEvoy, John Molloy, Conor McEvoy, Dermot Conroy, Darren Hogan, Seamus Rosney, Ger Reilly, Willie Young, Conor Gorman, Ger Dunne, John Rigney, Glen McEvoy. Subs: Michael Hyland for Ger Reilly, Conor Hyland for Dermot Conroy, Niall Hogan for Conor Gorman, Conor Dunne for John Rigney, Eoghan de Paor for John Molloy.

Park-Ratheniska: Brian Kelly, Paul Brennan, Martin Kelly, Benny Green, Oisin Nolan, Dave Larkin, Jimmy Langton, John Sugrue, Benny Conroy, Sean Tynan, Brendan Fingleton, Paddy Kelly, Darragh Nolan, Mark Delaney, Stephen Knowles. Subs: Donncha O Cathail for Martin Kelly, Ciaran Delaney for Paddy Kelly, Mark Delaney for Ciaran Delaney (BC), DJ ó’Connaill for Mark Delaney, Denis Brennan for Paul Brennan.

Referee: Darren Bracken (Portarlington)




Back to the top of the page