Goals the key as Camross claim Palmer Cup

Captain Tomas Burke is presented with the Dick Palmer Cup by Kim Bergin. Photo Denis Byrne.

Captain Tomas Burke is presented with the Dick Palmer Cup by Kim Bergin. Photo Denis Byrne.

Having won back-to-back Palmer Cups in 2009 and 2010, as well as finishing runners up to Clough-Ballacolla this time last year, Camross claimed the 2014 Palmer Cup with two goals to spare over Clough-Ballacolla in Shanahoe on Sunday evening.

Hurling Palmer Cup Final

Camross 2-12

Clough/Ballacolla 0-12


Camross started the game as they intended to continue as they took an early two point lead through a Zane Keenan brace inside the opening three minutes. Clough-Ballacolla found their footing in the game after five minutes with three points without reply through Shane Hyland (2) and Danny Hanlon to see them take a narrow lead.

Camross leveled the game from a minute later through James Palmer, before Shane Hyland and Zane Keenan exchanged points to leave the game level once again at four points apiece.

Approaching the quarter of an hour mark, Clough-Ballacolla raced into the lead with wing-forwards Damien Bergin and Sean Corby both finding their range to see Clough-Ballacolla take the lead.

Unwilling to trail at the break, Camross stepped up a gear and went on to slot 1-4 without reply - Dean Delaney, Andrew Collier and James Palmer all split the posts, while Damien Keenan’s long range effort got the better of Danny Hanlon in the Ballacolla goals as they took a five point lead.

Shane Hyland pulled one back for Clough-Ballacolla right on the stroke of half-time to leave the half time score at 1-8 to 0-7 in favour of last year’s beaten finalists.

Clough-Ballacolla emerged for the second half intent on dismantling the Camross lead, and did so with just two minutes elapsed with Tomas Burke splitting the posts to narrow the gap. James Palmer restored Camross’ four point lead three minutes later with his third of the day.

Zane Keenan and Damien Bergin exchanged points, before Bergin added a second to narrow the gap to three points with fifteen minutes left to play. The next ten minutes were hard to watch for Camross supporters as they hit seven wides without a score as the gap remained at a single goal.

Damien Bergin cut the deficit to two points with nine minutes remaining, but Camross found their composure once again to push the gap out to four points thanks to a Zane Keenan brace.

With a minute remaining Shane Hanlon brought Ballacolla to within a goal yet again, but a Murty Delaney goal at the final whistle sealed the result for Camross as they claimed the 2014 Palmer Cup.


SCORERS - Camross: Zane Keenan 0-7 (0-4 frees), Murty Delaney and Damien Keenan 1-0 each, James Palmer 0-3, Dean Delaney and Andrew Collier 0-1 each; Clough-Ballacolla: Shane Hyland (0-3 frees) and Damien Bergin (0-3 frees) 0-4 each, Danny Hanlon (free), Sean Corby, Michael McEvoy and Shane Hanlon 0-1 each.

CAMROSS: Tadhg Doran; Tomas Brickley, Malvin Maloney, Martin Burke; Matthew Collier, Gearoid Burke, Damien Keenan; Darren Kilmartin, Zane Keenan; Andrew Collier, Tomas Burke, James Palmer; Dean Delaney, Aaron Moore, Murty Delaney. SUBS: James Doran for Tomas Brickley.

CLOUGH-BALLACOLLA: Danny Hanlon; Ronan Broderick, Pat McEvoy, Eoin Doyle; Canice Coonan, Brendan McEvoy, Ciaran Hyland; Shane Hanlon, Jim Doyle; Sean Corby, Michael McEvoy, Damien Bergin; Shane Hyland, Mick Dunphy, Stephen Bergin. SUBS: Aidan Corby for Shane Hyland; John Doyle for Ciaran Hyland; James Maher for Damien Bergin; Ciaran Finane for Sean Corby.

Referee: John Lalor (Shanahoe)




Back to the top of the page