Kilcruise withstand late Graigue rally

Two first half goals proved crucial for Arles-Kilcruise, as they kept themselves in the race for a semi-final place thanks to this one point win over Graiguecullen last Thursday night.

ACFL Division 1

Arles Kilcruise 2-9

Graiguecullen 0-14


Colm Munnelly and Dylan Waters found the back of the net in quick succession in the first half to establish a cushion which they just about held on to.

Graiguecullen made a great fist of getting back on level terms in the second half, but they just fell short in the end. It is the end of their ACFL Division 1 campaign too, as Ballyroan Abbey have conceded their last game.

The goal came midway through the first half, with Colm Munnelly getting a fist to Dermot Nolan’s pass to guide it past Danny Bolger. Nolan was involved in the second goal moments later too, as he worked the ball to Dylan Waters, and he applied the finish to put Arles in control.

Graiguecullen finally got going after that, and battling score from Ian Fleming provided the spark they needed. The points started to flow after than, and efforts from Ambrose Doran and Ethan O’Neill left the score at 2-4 to 0-7 at the break.

Graiguecullen got off to a good start in the second half with a point from Ambrose Doran, and that set the tone for the rest of the half. Graigue got the deficit down to one point, only for Anthony McElroy to round off a good move with a crucial score.

Griaguecullen kept coming, and had the gap down to one point again in the closing stages, before winning a free from a tricky angle.

Ian Fleming had the chance to rescue a draw, but the free just missed the target, as Arles-Kilcruise held on for the win.

SCORERS – Arles-Kilcruise: Colm Munnelly 1-2, Dylan Waters 1-1, Dermot Nolan 0-3, Francis Egan 0-2 (0-1 sideline), Anthony McElroy 0-1. Graiguecullen: Ian Fleming 0-5 (0-2 frees, 0-1 45), Ambrose Doran 0-5 (0-2 frees), Lee Timmons 0-2, Danny Alsybury, Ethan O’Neill 0-1 each

ARLES KILCRUISE: Jimmy McDonald; Michael O’Shea, Sean Meaney, Jason McLoughlin; JP Conway, Patrick Conway, Anthony McElroy; Alan McLoughlin, Francis Egan; Dylan Waters, Brendan Conway, Colm Munnelly; Francis Tully, Dermot Nolan, Mark Wall.

GRAIGUECULLEN: Danny Bolger; Stephen Alsybury, Terry Haughney, Wayne Humphries; Pauric Murphy, Liam Kearney, Bobby Doyle; Michael Hand, Ian Fleming; James Doogue, Danny Alsybury, Jamie Malone; Lee Timmons, Ambrose Doran, Ethan O’Neill. Subs: Patrick Murphy for Murphy (half time), Barry Regan for Malone (37 mins), Luke Alsybury for S Alsybury (43 mins), Danny Doogue for D Alsybury (48 mins)

Referee: Eddie Kinsella (Courtwood)




Back to the top of the page