Impressive Portlaoise see off Wexford

editorial image

editorial image

After last weekend’s game against New Ross was re-scheduled, Portlaoise finally got their first Leinster Premier League game underway against Wexford RFC.

The week’s rest obviously did Portlaoise a favour as they looked both fresh and eager from the kick off.

A great threatening run from Evan Browne opened gaps to allow him to pop the ball to Dean Brophy who still had plenty to do but he took full advantage to run in Portlaoise’s first try of the game.

In the next few minutes, Portlaoise’s unstoppable number 8 Luke Rigney added two more impressive tries of his own to put Portlaoise into a 15-0 lead. Wexford managed to re-organise themselves and score a try to make it 15-5 just before half time.

However any hope of Wexford getting back into the game were dashed when Portlaoise’s leading try scorer Luke Rigney got over for this third try of the day. From there on in Portlaoise were never in any danger of losing the game. Evan Browne, Michael Nerney and Cormac Rigney all added exciting tries that gave Portlaoise a comfortable lead that they were never going to lose.

Wexford managed the consolation of a converted try before the final whistle which meant the game finished 43-12. This was another impressive win from a Portlaoise team brimming with confidence. This week’s man of the match was James Phelan. Next week Portlaoise will face New Ross at home in Tougher at 12pm all support welcome.

Were you born in 2000, would you like to play rugby? If so contact Roy Glynn on 087-2786584 (all players welcome)

Portlaoise: David Maher, James Phelan, Scott Meaney, Conor Handcock, Jack Kennedy, Shane Buggy, Dan O’Rourke, Luke Rigney (3 tries), Michael Dowling, Evan Browne (1 try), Cormac Rigney (1 try), Craig Adams, Dean Brophy (1 try), PJ Daly (4 conversions), William Seale. Replacements: Michael Nerney (1 try), Dan Cremin, Dylan Kavanagh, Luke Kerr, Ben Lynam, Connor Dwyer, Aidan Doheny, Buddy Adlam, David Donoghue.




Back to the top of the page