Foyle goal sets Borris-Kilcotton on their way to win over Ballyfin Gaels

Borris Kilcotton got off to a winning start in their championship campaign on Sunday evening as they saw off newly promoted Ballyfin Gaels by fourteen points.

Borris-Kilcotton 3-18

Ballyfin Gaels 0-14

The game was score-for-score right up until five minutes before the break when Neil Foyle goaled for Borris-Kilcotton.

Aaron Dunphy got his first point of the game after 25 seconds when the ball broke nicely for him to place the ball over the bar. Ballyfin responded with points of their as two Michael Bermingham points and a Gareth Dunphy free put them 0-3 to 0-2 ahead after six minutes.

The game was speeding up now, and Borris Kilcotton got off a great score when Eoin Fitzpatrick gave Neil Foyle a great pass to put the ball over the bar. Gareth Dunphy was deadly accurate on the frees and he brought his side back to level terms at 0-5 each after 15 minutes of play.

Aaron Dunphy and Patrick Whelan were causing problems for the Ballyfin defence as they slotted over further points for their side.

It wasn't until about 25 minutes of play when Borris Kilcotton showed their experience, as Stephen Dunphy took on his player and passed to Neil Foyle who blasted the ball into the back of the net. The half time score saw Borris-Kilcotton lead 1-12 to 0-8.

Borris Kilcotton then brought this dominance into the second half as Stephen Dunphy pointed straight after the throw in. Gareth Dunphy did respond for Ballyfin Gaels as he put over a fine score from out near the sideline.

Ballyfin then got their chance at goal but the shot from Michael Bermingham was saved by Eoin Fleming with the rebound resulting in a point, thanks to Ricky Quillinan.

It was some poor defending that resulting in a response of a goal from Borris Kilcotton. Paddy Whelan was all on his own when he got to a breaking ball in front of the goal and he finished nicely into the back of the net. This gave Borris-Kilcotton a comfortable lead as they lead 2-13 to 0-13 after 40 minutes.

Gareth Dunphy did try and find a way back for Ballyfin with further frees, but a really well taken goal from Aaron Dunphy gave them no chance of a revival. Patrick Whelan and Eoin Fitzpatrick followed up with further points to secure a comfortable first round victory for Borris-Kilcotton.


Scorers: Aaron Dunphy and Paddy Whelan 1-3 each, PJ Scully 0-5 (0-4 frees), Neil Foyle 1-1, Eoin Fitzpatrick and Stephen Dunphy 0-2 each, Eoin Fleming (free) and Danny Fitzpatrick 0-1 each.

Team: Eoin Fleming; Noel Delaney, Brian Stapleton, Stephen Finan; Jim Fitzpatrick, Matthew Whelan, Conor Kilbane; Eoin Fitzpatrick, Colm Stapleton; Patrick Whelan, Aaron Dunphy, Danny Fitzpatrick; Stephen Dunphy, Neil Foyle, PJ Scully. Subs: Joe Campion for S Dunphy (35 mins), Bill Meade for C Kilbane (44 mins).


Scorers: Gareth Dunphy 0-7 (0-5 frees), Michael Bermingham and Donnachadh Hartnett 0-2 each, Eanna Lyons, Gary Hoffmeister and Ricky Quinlan 0-1 each.

Team: Eamonn Duff; David Connolly, Louis Duff, Cillan Rowney; James Finn, Max Connolly, Davy Connolly; Darragh Connolly, Donnchadh Hartnett; Gary Hofmeister, Ricky Quinlan, Michael Bermingham; Eanna Lyons, Redmond McEvoy, Gareth Dunphy. Subs: Kevin O’Rouke for Hofmeister (half time), Michael Murphy for Bermingham (52 mins), Ian Fennelly for Quillinan (55 mins).

Referee: Anthony Costigan (Rathdowney Errill).

Main Man
Aaron Dunphy just about gets the nod. He was best when Borris-Kilcotton seemed to be struggling in the first 25 minutes. Finished the game with 1-3 and his pace seemed to be causing Ballyfin Gaels defence a lot of problems.

Turning Point
The goal from Neil Foyle just before the break was really important for Borris-Kilcotton. It looked like the game could be close but this goal seemed to spark Borris Kilcotton into life.

Ref Watch
Anthony Costigan did a good job in keeping the game flowing.

Pub Talk
Will Ballyfin Gaels find the step up to senior hurling too difficult and be in relegation trouble? They have Ballinakill and Abbeyleix next.

Aaron Dunphy’s goal at the end was really well taken. He rattled the back of the net from a tight angle and gave Eamonn Duff no chance.

The atmosphere in the second half seemed to have been lost as Borris Kilcotton started to put daylight between the sides.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.