Garda shopping theft advice
Garda Crime Prevention Officer for Laois and Offaly offers the following advice regarding shopping for the final week of Christmas shopping.
When you're out spending money, this can mean that thieves are out too, looking for opportunities to commit
• Take extra care when using a cash point, or chip and pin.
• Don't let anyone see your pin number, never write down your pin number.
• Never keep your wallet in your back pocket. Keep your handbag zipped at all times – crowded shopping areas are very popular with pickpockets.
• Don't leave your handbag in the shopping trolley while you shop.
• Stay alert when using your mobile phone. It's very easy for someone to snatch it out of your hand.
• Always put shopping and parcels in the boot of your car when driving.
• Don't return to your car to leave purchases in the boot before continuing with your shopping, as thieves may watch car parks.
• Don't leave valuables on the seat of your car - they attract thieves.
•Keep the car door locked, even when traveling.
•Don't leave your house or car keys in your car.