Spike in new Covid-19 infections and clusters in Ireland is 'worrying' warns Dr Tony Holohan

Doctors warn about importing cases

Conor Ganly

Reporter:

Conor Ganly

Email:

news@leinsterexpress.ie

Dr Tony Holohan coronavirus covid-19

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health

The doctors leading the fight against the coronavirus have warned of an increased rate of infections and the risk of importing the disease after a spike in the number of new cases of Covid-19 in Ireland 

There have been 24 new cases of Covid-19 in Ireland on Monday, June 29 according to figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HSPC) which were published by the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET).

There is now a total of 25,462* confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.

However, there have been no new deaths. There has now been a total of 1,735 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.

While the infection rate remains relatively low, the emerging trend was enough for Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, to alert the public. 

“We are starting to see a worrying trend, with the number of reported cases increasing, and some new clusters.   

“As restrictions are lifted and people move about more, it’s important that we use the tools that have helped us suppress the virus to date. 

“Handwashing, physical distancing, cough/sneeze hygiene and wearing face coverings are important personal behaviours that mean, as we go about our daily lives, that we are doing everything we can to avoid contracting the virus and spreading it to those we love,” he said.

Dr Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said: “Today we are reporting at least six cases associated with international travel.  Many countries around the world are still experiencing high and increasing levels of this disease.  Last week, there were over 1.1 million cases reported and there have now been over 10 million cases reported globally to date. 

“The risk of imported cases remains high.  It’s important that continue to avoid all unnecessary travel at this time.”

Dr Siobhán Kennelly, HSE National Clinical Advisor and Group Lead for Older Persons said: “Many restrictions have now been lifted and people are getting out more, including those who are over 70 or medically vulnerable. 

“Socialising is important for your mental and physical wellbeing, but it’s important that you are safe while doing so.  Wear a face covering, know the symptoms of COVID-19 and contact your GP straight away if you feel unwell,” she said.

The Department of Health has not published up to date county by county figures since the middle of last week, June 24.