Latest update on Covid-19 confirmed cases and deaths in Ireland
The National Public Health Emergency Team has given its latest update on Covid-19 confirmed cases and deaths in Ireland this Monday evening August 31.
As of midnight Sunday 30th August, the HPSC has been notified of 53 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 28,811* confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
Of the cases notified today 25 were in Dublin, 11 in Limerick and the remaining 17 cases are located in Kildare, Longford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Laois, Meath, Roscommon, Tipperary, Westmeath.
28 are men / 25 are women
75% are under 45 years of age
27 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
14 cases have been identified as community transmission
There have been no new deaths reported to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre today. There has now been a total of 1,777 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
Dr Ronan Glynn, Acting Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “This evening, I want to recognise the very significant impact of the measures on individuals, communities and businesses in Kildare over the past three weeks. The improvement in the epidemiological situation there is a testament to the willingness of everyone to adhere to the public health guidance and measures implemented.
“At a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team today, NPHET thanked people in Kildare – and in Laois and Offaly previously – for their forbearance and noted that their actions are a demonstration, and a further reminder, of what can be achieved through collective action as we continue to strike a balance between living our lives and behaving in a way that protects one another.”
Dr Siobhán Ni Bhriain, Consultant Psychiatrist and Integrated Care Lead HSE, said; “As we continue through the school year, we expect cases and these will be responded to rapidly, tailored to that outbreak and led by public health doctors. These public health doctors will communicate with school staff and parents as indicated.”
Rachel Kenna, Chief Nursing Officer, Department of Health said; “We can all support parents and school children in our communities by following public health advice. We all have a responsibility to keep our schools open by applying this advice to our daily lives. Remember the key protective behaviours, regular hand washing, physical distance, wearing face coverings where appropriate, reduce your social contacts, know the symptoms and know when to isolate.”
Dr Sumi Dunne, a General Practitioner from Portarlington advised parents on when to keep children at home.
“We are aware that this is an anxious time for parents and guardians. GPs across the country are here to support them. If you feel your child is unwell, outside of a blocked/runny nose and seasonal sneezing, please do not send them into school. Keep them at home, restrict your movements and make contact with your GP.”
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.