Search

29 Nov 2025

Accused of child pornography possession in Laois

A man appeared before Portlaoise District Court

Accused of child pornography possession in Laois

Portlaoise District Court

A man appeared in court accused of possessing child pornography in Laois. 

The man (36), who cannot be named due to reporting restrictions, is accused of possessing child pornography at an address in Laois on January 10, 2023. 

Detective Garda Shane Hunter said the man’s home was searched by gardaí who had been notified of the alleged offending by a specialist national garda unit. 

He said two devices were seized during the search and the defendant provided passwords for both. 

Det Hunter said there were two videos of pubescent boys aged around 14 engaged in sexual activity and a third video of a boy aged around 16 exposing himself found on an iPhone 13 which had been seized. He said the videos were uploaded to a dropbox folder but gardai suspect this was an automatic upload and not done out of any intention to distribute the material. 

“They were downloaded through a link that was shared on Telegram,” Det Hunter said. 

On hearing an outline of the evidence, Judge Susan Fay said she was refusing jurisdiction in the case. 

She imposed interim reporting restrictions in the case, granted legal aid to Solicitor Brian Duffy and adjourned the matter to  Portlaoise District Court on January 12 for service of the book of evidence. 

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.