Search

12 Aug 2022

Portlaoise man fined for throwing food and abusing staff

Portlaoise man fined for throwing food and abusing staff

A Portlaoise man who threw food around in a fast food outlet and abused staff has been convicted and fined after failing to pay compensation.

Owen Lawlor (36), Oakleaf Place, Portlaoise, was charged with threatening or abusive behaviour, and failure to comply with the directions of the gardaí.

When the case first came before the court in September, Sgt JJ Kirby gave evidence that on August 11, 2018, at 11.40pm, the accused was in a kebab shop in Portlaoise Top Square abusing the staff.

He was throwing food and drink around and had to be arrested.

Sgt JJ Kirby said the gardaí indicated the accused had shown regret for his actions.

The accused had three previous convictions.

Judge Catherine Staines noted that the accused had plenty of money for drink, so he could stop drinking for a few months and save up €300 compensation. She then adjourned the case to November 8.

When the case returned to court last week, solicitor Mr Barry Fitzgerald said his client did not have the compensation as he had only started work, but he would have it in three weeks.

Judge Staines convicted and fined the accused €300.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.