10 Aug 2022

Convicted and fined for hit and run

Convicted and fined for hit and run

A 22-year-old man described by his solicitor as “a good young lad generally” has been convicted and fined for a hit and run incident on Christmas Day and a separate charge of failing to comply with the directions of the gardaí on a different date.

At last week’s sitting of Portlaoise District Court, Aristot Tambidila, 22, 7 Millbrook, Church Street, Portlaoise, was charged with failure to comply with the directions of the gardaí, at Lakeside Gardens, Portlaoise, on July 14 last year; and two counts of hit and run, and failure to give information to the gardaí, at Dublin Road, Portlaoise, on December 25, 2017.

Detective Garda Padraig Ryan gave evidence that on July 14 last year, there was a large scale public order incident at Lakeside Gardens involving 15 to 20 people. The accused was directed to leave the scene, but he refused to do so and had to be arrested.

In a separate matter, on Christmas Day, 2017, at the Dublin Road, Portlaoise, there was a three-vehicle collision and one of the cars was registered to the accused, who had left the scene. He was later identified from CCTV. The accused had nine previous convictions.

Defence, Mr Aonghus McCarthy said his client had never been in trouble before and he had been involved in a modest road traffic accident. In relation to the disturbance at Lakeside, Mr McCarthy said there was a large number of youths present and the accused took exception to being asked to leave as he wasn’t the instigator.

Defence said the accused feared he would get into a fight if he left the area and walked into town, but he wished to apologise to the gardaí. The accused also failed to appear in court on a particular date and Mr McCarthy said this was because he had got his dates mixed up. The court heard that the accused spent two days in custody for failing to appear.

Mr McCarthy said the accused was “a good young lad generally” who would be willing to make a charitable donation.
Judge Staines said the more serious matter was leaving the scene of a road traffic accident and then he failed to turn up in court.

The accused was convicted and fined €200 and disqualified from driving for one year. For failure to comply with the gardaí, the accused was convicted and fined €100. A separate charge against the accused was adjourned to April 25 next.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.