Gardaí are warning of thefts catalytic converters from inside cars.
A catalytic converter is an exhaust emission control device which is attached to the exhaust on the under body of a vehicle. These are being stolen for their high-value metal and are expensive to replace.
Laois/Offaly Crime Prevention Officer, Garda Sergeant Graham Kavanagh, highlighted the issue on Crimecall this week and the advice is as follows:
• When parking in public, park in non-isolated places where there is good street lighting.
• Consider purchasing a catalytic converter lock or clamp, which will help prevent its theft and deter any potential criminals. Have the catalytic converter marked with VIN or vehicle registration number.
• Report any suspicious activity, especially if you see someone underneath a car in suspicious circumstances – Call 999. This can happen during the day also so do not hesitate if you see people working under vehicles on the public street.
• Don’t leave valuables in your car and make sure your car is locked and alarm activated.
• Report all crimes to An Garda Síochána.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.