Gardaí are warning of thefts catalytic converters from inside cars.
A catalytic converter is an exhaust emission control device which is attached to the exhaust on the under body of a vehicle. These are being stolen for their high-value metal and are expensive to replace.
Laois/Offaly Crime Prevention Officer, Garda Sergeant Graham Kavanagh, highlighted the issue on Crimecall this week and the advice is as follows:
• When parking in public, park in non-isolated places where there is good street lighting.
• Consider purchasing a catalytic converter lock or clamp, which will help prevent its theft and deter any potential criminals. Have the catalytic converter marked with VIN or vehicle registration number.
• Report any suspicious activity, especially if you see someone underneath a car in suspicious circumstances – Call 999. This can happen during the day also so do not hesitate if you see people working under vehicles on the public street.
• Don’t leave valuables in your car and make sure your car is locked and alarm activated.
• Report all crimes to An Garda Síochána.