Laois minor hurlers run riot against Antrim to book place in next round

Greg Mulhall


Greg Mulhall


Laois minor hurlers run riot against Antrim to book place in next round

Danny Brennan breaks out of defence for Laois against Westmeath in the opening round of the Championship at O'Moore Park. Photo: Alf Harvey

The Laois minor hurlers made it three wins from three as they secured their passage into Round 2 of the Leinster Championship following a twenty-four point rout of Antrim at Lawless Park, Swords today.


Laois 6 - 20

Antrim 0 - 14


Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Hurling Championship Tier 2 Round 3


Laois dominated the opening half to rack up a fifteen-point lead by the half-way mark. The Laois defence held Antrim to a single point for the opening twenty-five minutes as they charged into an eighteen point lead before Antrim would score their second point.

They finished with six goals in total in a confident and clinical performance.

Laois raced into an early three-point lead with Laois' saviour against Kildare last time out, Adam Kirwan, hitting a brace and a single from captain Tadhg Cuddy set them ahead inside the opening five minutes.

The first of Laois' six goals would arrive shortly after as Kirwan blasted the Antrim net for his second goal in as many games. Antrim replied with a point from a free to open their account after ten minutes, but they wouldn't score again for another fifteen minutes as Laois added 2-7 without reply.

Kirwan and Camross' Dan Delaney added points for the O'Moore men before Rathdowney-Errill's Padraig Rafter bagged their second goal. A mere minute later, their third green flag was lifted when David Dooley's shot hit the back of the net.

Points followed from Tomas Keyes, Kirwan, Dooley and Rafter before Antrim slotted their second point of the, their first from play after twenty-five minutes. Antrim hit another four point before the interval, while Dan Delaney knocked over his second as Laois went in with a fifteen point lead on a scoreline of 3-12 to 0-6.

Antrim made a go if it in the early stages of the second half as they equalled their first half tally in the fifteen minutes after the restart, but Laois still led by twelve points thanks to Kirwan (2) and Noah Quinlan.

Laois lost Lawson Obular to a second yellow card, but Antrim were reduced to fourteen men also shortly after.

Laois finished strong with three more goals in the final quarter through substitutes Cathal O'Shaughnessy and DJ Callaghan, while David Dooley grabbed his second as Laois finished with twenty-four points to spare.

Enda Lyons' men will now go progress straight into the second round of the Leinster Championship to be played on May 25th, where they will play one of the three winners from Round 1.



Scorers: David Dooley 2-3, Adam Kirwan 1-5 (0-2 frees), Padraig Rafter 1-3, Cathal O’Shaughnessy 1-1, DJ Callaghan 1-0, Noah Quinlan, Dan Delaney and Tadhg Cuddy 0-2 each, Tomas Keyes and Fionan Mahony 0-1 each.

Team: Darragh Lyons (Ballyfin); Lawson Obular (St Lazerian’s Abbeyleix), Danny Brennan (Park-Ratheniska-Timahoe), Ian Shanahan (Ballinakill); Cian Conroy (Clonaslee St Manman’s), Fionan Mahony (St Lazerian’s Abbeyleix), Brian Bredin (St Fintan's Mountrath); Tomas Keyes (Camross), Tadhg Cuddy (Castletown); James Duggan (The Harps), Dan Delaney (Camross) Noah Quinlan (Borris-Kilcotton); Adam Kirwan (St Fintan's Mountrath), David Dooley (Rosenallis), Padraig Rafter (Rathdowney-Errill). Subs: Ned Fitzpatrick (St Lazerian's Abbeyleix) for Shanahan (44 mins), Cathal O’Shaughnessy (Ballinakill) for Delaney (45 mins), Eoin Naughton (Portlaoise) for Rafter (48 mins), DJ Callaghan (Clonaslee) for Kirwan (50 mins), Kevin Mulhall (Clough-Ballacolla) for Quinlan (53 mins)