Quinlan points the way to semi-finals

Kilcotton-Borris progressed to the last four of the intermediate hurling championship after an eight point victory over Camross in Shanahoe.

Kilcotton-Borris progressed to the last four of the intermediate hurling championship after an eight point victory over Camross in Shanahoe.

Despite this being the knockout end of the championship, it was probably Kilcotton-Borris’ easiest game to date, as the scoreline suggests. In the group stage of the competition they staged an impressive second half comeback against Rathdowney-Errill in their opening match, before made to work hard by a Shanahoe team desperately needing a win only to find gifted goals helping them to a four point win.

Kilcotton-Borris started with great purpose, but drove five fairly simple wides inside the first ten minutes as they looked to assert themselves. Once forwards found their range, it was only a matter of time before a big lead emerged. With 16 minutes gone, Kilcotton-Borris had put over five points with Camross still looking for their first. The opener came from a Daire Quinlan free just over 45 meters out. This was followed by scores from midfielder Rory Moore. Both corner forwards then got in early points, Emmet Jones and John Wall got similar scores working off of great ball being delivered from their half backs, and another Quinlan free book-ended this early spell.

Camross’ first score came in the 17th minute, a much needed goal from corner forward Patrick Burke. Craig Cuddy attempted to point from the 21 but his miss-hit strike caught defenders flat footed as Burke drifted in behind and doubled on the ball nicely from close range.

Camross’ two midfielders caught a lot of high ball in the first half, but the lack of any other ball winners was evident trough out the game. Kilcotton-Borris dominated in most positions on the pitch, but a very even battle showed itself between Emmet Jones and Kevin Lawlor, two exciting young hurlers. Lawlor might be disappointed that Jones managed to finish the game with three points from play, but it was certainly a good hard fought pairing to watch.

Kilcotton-Borris carried a six point lead into the second half and continued to play in the same vein, Daire Quinlan’s free-taking becoming more impressive as the game wore on.

Camross managed to grab their second goal of the game on 52 minutes, a good finish from Dan Lawlor as he managed to find the bottom corner through some bodies, Dan had been unlucky not to get a goal in the 48th but for a great save from Eoin Fleming between the sticks.

They were free scoring, but the standout performances from Kilcotton-Borris came in their half-back line. Ciaran Commerford’s delivery of ball into their forwards is an integral part of the way this side plays, with Owen Drennan and Cathal Moynan getting on a lot of ball with time and space too.

A minute silence was observed before the start of this match in memory of Aidan Kelly. This match was rescheduled from the previous Friday as a mark of respect, Aidan’s son Ronan is captain of the Kilcotton-Borris intermediate side and started the game at corner back. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

SCORERS - Borris-Kilcotton: Daire Quinlan 0-8 (all frees), Emmett Jones 0-3, John Wall 0-2, Niall Jones, Rory Moore and John Treacy 0-1 each; Camross: Dan Lawlor 1-1 (0-1 free), Patrick Burke 1-1

BORRIS-KILCOTTON: Eoin Fleming; Ronan Kelly, Paul Drennan, Cathal O’ Donnell; Cathal Moynan, Colm Commerford, Owen Drennan; Alan Drennan, Rory Moore; John Treacy, Frankie Cullinane, Daire Quinlan; John Wall, Niall Jones, Emmet Jones. Subs: Chris Jones for Cathal O’Donnell (50 mins) Bill Meade for Niall Jones (51 mins)

CAMROSS: Sean Kennedy; Kevin Lawlor, Ken Cuddy, Donie Coyne; Tomás Brickley, Fran Hogan, James Doran; Ollie Dowling, Paul Kavanagh; Martin Delaney, Brian Hancock, Michael Brickley; Dan Lawlor, Craig Cuddy, Patrick Burke. Subs: Brendan Sullivan for Craig Cuddy (42 mins) Conor Doran for Brian Hancock (47 mins), Martin Gaughan for Martin Delaney (52 mins), Eoin Scully for Michael Brickley (55 mins)