The Rock hold of charging Kilcavan

Both The Rock and Kilcavan came into this game knowing it was a must win encounter as neither had picked up a point in their previous games.

Both The Rock and Kilcavan came into this game knowing it was a must win encounter as neither had picked up a point in their previous games.

Intermediate Football Championship

The Rock 2-7

Kilcavan 2-5


For The Rock it was their last chance saloon as it was their last group game and anything less than a win would have condemned them to a second successive relegation after dropping down from senior last year.

It was tight to the finish with The Rock holding the slenderest of leads but a late point from Brendan Conroy settled the nerves and saw them over the line.

Kilcavan will look back and rue the 11 wides they hit during the game and they now face an immediate return to the Junior ranks with one group game against Timahoe to come.

David Murphy opened the scoring for The Rock but after just six minutes, Kilcavan blasted into the lead from the penalty spot with Mick Tarpey applying the finsih.

The Rock levelled matters with points from Diarmuid Dooley and Fergus Dunne and after Ollie Dixon and Paul Dunne traded points, the sides were locked on 0-4 apiece after 20 minutes.

However a second goal for Kilcavan, this time from Rory O’Connell, with an assist from Tarpey, gave last year’s Junior champions the lead again.

The Rock came back strongly to retake the lead but before the break, Ollie Dixon levelled matters again to set things up perfectly for the second-half.

It was The Rock who made the decisive break on the resumption when James McDonald picked out Ciaran Conroy who slotted the ball to the back of the net.

Aaron Dowling put four between the sides but Kilcavan came back once again with Declan Conroy, Dixon and Derek O’Connell all slotting the ball over the bar to close the gap to one late in the game.

With the tension mounting, Brendan Conroy calmly put over the insurance point for The Rock to seal the win.

Scorers: The Rock: Paul Dunne 1-0; Ciaran Conroy 1-0; Fergus Dunne, Diarmuid Dooley, Ciaran Carroll, Brian Conlon, Brendan Murphy, David Murphy, Aaron Dowling 0-1 apiece. Kilcavan: Rory O’Connell 1-0; Mick Tarpey 1-0; Declan Conroy 0-1; Derek O’Connell 0-1

THE ROCK: Brendan Dalton; Ben Storey, Keith Storey, Conor Flynn; Anavil Storey, Ciarán Conroy, Fergus Dunne; Diarmuid Dooley, Philip Peake; Ciarán Carroll, Paul Dunne, Brian Conlon; Jonathan Allen, David Murphy, Aaron Dowling (0-1). Subs: Conor Allen for Brendan Dalton (23mins), James McDonald for Jonathan Allen HT, Brendan Murphy for Conor Flynn (53mins), Paul Harding for Anavil Storey (60mins).

KILCAVAN: Eamon O’Brien; John McEvoy, Jim White, Declan Conroy; Liam Dunne, Micheal Bermingham, Eddie Conroy; Barry Mangan, Gearoid Tracey; Patrick Hunt, Ollie Dixon, Rory O’Connell; Derek O’Connell, Gordon Lalor, Pat Gorry. Subs: Micheal Tarpey for Gordon Lalor (5 mins), Ronan Gorry for Patrick Hunt (44mins), Manus Dunne for Rory O’Connell (46 mins)

Referee: Vincent Dowling