Late Simms point seals dramatic win for Spink

Spink claimed a late, late victory over Timahoe in a pulsating clash in Crettyard on Friday evening as Paul Simms’ injury-time winner pulled them over the line.

Spink claimed a late, late victory over Timahoe in a pulsating clash in Crettyard on Friday evening as Paul Simms’ injury-time winner pulled them over the line.

Intermediate Hurling Championship

Clonaslee/St Manman’s 2-11

Graiguecullen 1-12


Timahoe started the game well as they claimed the opening two scores of the game through Ruairi O’Connor and Martin Bergin to put Spink on the back-foot early on. Spink opened their account on the five minute mark courtesy of Paul Simms to cut the deficit in half.

Timahoe eased into a three point lead shortly after with Ruairi O’Connor hitting a quick brace to extend the Timahoe advantage. Spink responded with Cha Dwyer finding his range, before Damien Carter slotted a free to bring them back to within two points.

Spink continued to heap pressure on the Timahoe defence resulting in a haul of 1-1 in just two minutes. Daithi Brennan converted a free after 22 minutes of play, leaving Cha Dwyer to sail through the Timahoe defence from the resulting kick-out before rolling the ball beneath the oncoming Timahoe goalkeeper, Eoin Culleton, as Spink took the lead for the first time in the game.

Timahoe closed out the half on a high with three successive points before the whistle from Padraig Clancy, Ruairi O’Connor and Martin Bergin to see them lead by a point at the interval.

Spink returned from the half-time break and instantly made their mark on the game with the opening five points of the half over the course of 15 minutes. Daithi Brennan led the way with four pointed frees, while Damien Carter pitched in with his second of the day before being given his marching orders for a straight red-card three minutes later.

Timahoe’s numerical advantage didn’t last long as five minutes after Carter was dismissed, Ruairi O’Connor followed suit for a straight red. It took Timahoe until the 19th minute of the second half to notch their first point of the half, with Martin Bergin applying the finishing touch, before Bergin struck for goal from the resulting kick-out with Clancy providing the assist.

Damien O’Connor and Joe O’Connor traded points with Daithi Brennan to leave Spink trailing by a single point with six minutes remaining. With the scene set for a dramatic conclusion, Spink levelled the proceedings with a minute left to play through Daithi Brennan.

As the game entered injury-time Spink fed the ball into their young corner-forward, Paul Simms, who took the shot on from an acute angle and was duly rewarded with game-winning point.

Scorers - SPINK: Daithi Brennan 0-7, 0-5f; Cha Dwyer 1-1; Damien Carter (1f) and Paul Simms 0-2 each. TIMAHOE: Martin Bergin 1-3; Ruairi O’Connor 0-4, 0-1f; Padraig Clancy 0-2, 0-1f; Damien O’Connor and Joe O’Connor 0-1 each.

SPINK: John Dunphy; Tony O’Seachnasaigh, Paddy Gorman, David Phelan; Eamon Jackman, Podge Lawlor, Micheal Downey; Seamus Dwyer, Dan Bergin; Cha Dwyer, James Walsh, Sean Downey; Paul Simms, Daithi Brennan, Damien Carter.

TIMAHOE: Eoin Culleton; Sean Daly, John Lowry, James Whelehan; Conor Whelehan, Damien O’Connor, Ciaran Lennon; Sean Ramsbottom, Micheal Kerr; Joe O’Connor, Padraig Clancy, Richie Oxley; Martin Bergin, Ruairi O’Connor, Robbie Foyle. SUBS: Pascal Foyle for Robbie Foyle.