Heath come good in second half

The Heaths Robert Dowling rises to win this breaking ball in their Minor Football Championship B Final clash with O'Dempseys.Pic Denis Byrne.
A superb second half display from The Heath proved more than enough to overcome the challenge of O’Dempsey’s to last Wednesday night.

A superb second half display from The Heath proved more than enough to overcome the challenge of O’Dempsey’s to last Wednesday night.

In what was a lackluster opening fifteen minutes, O’Dempsey’s led by four points to one thanks to scores from Matthew Finlay (2), Cathal Meade and Darragh Bannon, while Evin Keane claimed The Heath’s only point.

The Heath gradually gained a footing in the game and tacked on three consecutive points through Evin Keane (2) and Sean Mulhall to level the proceedings after twenty minutes of play.

Eager to lead at the interval, O’Dempsey’s notched two points in as many minutes through Matthew Finlay and Cathal Meade to push them two points clear once again, but an Evin Keane free on the stroke of half time narrowed the O’Dempsey’s lead to a single point at the interval.

The second half proved to be much less of a contest as The Heath simply steamrolled the opposition. Evin Keane restarted the scoring with just thirty seconds elapsed in the half to level the game, before Matthew Finlay edged O’Dempsey’s in front once again.

Evin Keane and James Phelan added points for The Heath to see them lead, but it didn’t last long as O’Dempsey’s regained the lead thanks to a Darragh Bannon goal.

Robbie Dowling and Keith Kavanagh exchanged points to keep the gap at one, before The Heath went on a scoring rampage. In a ten minute period, The Heath added eight points to the scoreboard, with Evin Keane claiming the pick of the bunch.

O’Dempsey’s tried to keep in touch with points from Matthew Finlay, but The Heath’s scoring spree continued and an injury time goal from James Phelan proved to be the icing on the cake.

SCORERS - The Heath: Evin Keane 0-10, 0-7f; James Phelan 1-1 (0-1 ‘45); Sean Mulhall and Robbie Dowling 0-3 each; Kevin Bergin, Jordan Walshe and Shane Keane 0-1 each.;O’Dempsey’s: Matthew Finlay 0-6, 0-4f; Darragh Bannon 1-1; Cathal Meade 0-2, 0-1f; Keith Kavanagh 0-1.

THE HEATH: David Phelan; Liam Campbell, James Conroy; Jack Delaney, Hugh Hackett, David Conroy; Robbie Dowling, Ray Killeen; Eddie Carroll, Evin Keane, Shane Keane; Sean Mulhall, James Phelan. SUBS: Jordan Walsh for Eddie Carroll; Kevin Bergin for James Conroy.

O’DEMPSEY’S: John Cahill; Liam Whelehan, Joe Molloy; Cormac O’Hora, Chris McCormack, Stephen Shiels; Stephen Hughes, Keith Kavanagh; Cathal Meade, Tommy Keogh, Darragh Bannon; Shane Nerney, Matthew Finlay. SUBS: Robbie McNeill for Shane Nerney; Michael Boyhan for Stephen Shiels; Mark Lawlor for Cathal Meade; Pat Maher for Mark Lawlor.

Referee: Darren Bracken (Portarlington)