Laois County Council Fire Service wish everyone a safe and Happy Christmas.
To avoid any unfortunate accidents Laois Fire Service has issued some Fire Safety Tips that not only apply at Christmas, but also all year round.
- Install a smoke alarm and check it weekly. NEVER remove batteries for toys.
- When going to bed at night, close all doors and switch off electrical appliances.
- Have a fire emergency plan and practice it.
- Keep candles away from curtains, Christmas cards and anything that can catch fire.
- Never leave candles unattended or go to sleep when they are alight.
- Be careful with any decorations placed near the fireplace.
- Visit any elderly neighbours. Smoke alarms make good presents as they are for saving life.
- Never leave your cooker or grill pan unattended as most fires start in the kitchen.
- Make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished.