Search

13 Aug 2022

Book of evidence in Mountrath Irish Rail worker assault case

Book of evidence in Mountrath Irish Rail worker assault case

A book of evidence has been served on a Carlow man in connection with an incident in which an Irish Rail worker in Laois was assaulted and locked in the boot of his car for some eight hours.

Before Portlaoise District Court was Patrick Cunningham (20), Myshall, Carlow, charged with robbery at Kilbricken, Mountrath, on December 5, 2017.

State's evidence in the case outlined that on that date, an Irish Rail employee had started work at 5am.

While he was sitting in his car, the right side window of the vehicle was smashed with a wrench, before the man was punched to the head, causing damage to his eye.

The man was then robbed of his phone and told to get into the boot of the car, where he was locked in for approximately eight hours

He was eventually freed by a work colleague.

A book of evidence was served on the accused at last week’s court by Garda Erica Sweetman.

Inspector Maria Conway said that the DPP had directed that the accused be sent forward on a signed plea of guilty, or be sent forward for trial to the next sitting of Portlaoise Circuit Court on June 26 next.

Bail with certain conditions was fixed on the accused’s own bond of €100 and an independent cash surety of €3,000.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.