A 31-year-old man who sent abusive messages to his ex-partner has been bound to the peace for one year and directed to have no contact with the injured party.
The accused, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the injured party, was charged with contravening a protection order on November 1 last year, at a location in Laois.
At last week’s sitting of Portlaoise District Court, Sgt JJ Kirby gave evidence that on November 5, 2018, the injured party reported the matter to the gardaí.
She had received a number of abusive messages on her mobile phone from her ex-partner.
In the messages, the accused called her derogatory names. The accused admitted this to gardaí when questioned, said Sgt Kirby.
He had no previous convictions.
Defence, Mr Barry Fitzgerald said the accused had a steel plate in his head and suffered with certain ailments from that.
The accused now resides in County Waterford, said Mr Fitzgerald.
He said the accused had formed an attachment to the injured party and their relationship had been tempestuous in its aftermath, after they had been together some six months.
Mr Fitzgerald said the accused wanted to move on and get on with his life.
Defence concluded by saying there have been no incidents since.
Judge Catherine Staines bound the accused to the peace for one year, with a condition that he have no contact with the injured party.