Maryborough play out heart-stopping eight-goal draw with Kenagh

Sligo Leitrim Soccer Fixtures & Results

Maryborough made the longest journey of the season on Sunday as they travelled to Longford town to take on Kenagh. Even with the overcast weather it was perfect conditions for the game.

Kenagh 4 Maryborough 4

Maryborough started the stronger and got an early reward after six minutes. A long ball was controlled well by Ross Holmes. He turned and rolled the ball to Seamus Lawless, his low shot from 20 yards out was well placed into the bottom corner of the net.

Four minutes later Kenagh equalised. From a long kick out the Maryborough defence misjudged the flight of the ball. Maryborough keeper Shean O'Grady rushed off his line to claim the ball. The Kenagh forward challenged O'Grady in the air, unfortunately for Maryborough, the referee did not blow for a foul and Kenagh had the easiest of finishes.

Eight minutes later, Kenagh took the lead, another long ball, this time misplayed by the Maryborough defence let the Kenagh forward in one on one and he made no mistake.

The end to end nature of the play continued and after 22 minutes it was 2-2. From a corner Shane Langan was adjudged to be fouled in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Dan Langan stepped up and sent the ball into the right corner, leaving the keeper no chance.

On the half hour mark it was another long ball not dealt with and again Kenagh got through to make it 3-2. Eight minutes later it was a case of deja vu as yet again Maryborough did not deal with the long ball. This time the Kenagh attacker was wide on the left, his shot rocketed into the top corner to make it 4-2 to the hosts.

Even though they trailed by two goals at half time, Maryborough were the better team. It was simple mistakes costing them. They were making all the play but couldn't deal with the long ball.

Maryborough started the second half just as they did the first. They were dominating the play, getting the main chances, more of the possession and territory but most importantly wee finally dealing with the long ball attack.

After sustained pressure Maryborough pulled one goal back just before the hour mark. A quickly taken free kick was played to Dylan Morrissey, he beat the defender and crossed the ball in. It came to Sean O'Driscoll who controlled well, found space and finished well.

Maryborough were on top for the rest of the half but could not find the back of the net. As the time ran down, Kenagh seemed happy to see out the game. As the game ticked into injury time it was looking like a lost cause. Into the fourth minute of injury time Maryborough won a corner. Dan Langan's cross was met by his brother Shane at the front post, his header finding the back of the net.

Cue huge celebrations from the Maryborough players and subs. It was the least that Maryborough deserved as they were the better team throughout the game. They will rue the fact they gave away needless goals but will be heartened by the fact they didn't give up and got their reward in the dying seconds of the game.

Maryborough: Shean O'Grady, Dylan Morrissey, Shane Langan, Donal O'Driscoll, Bren Molloy, Chris Dunne, Dean Kavanagh, Seamus Lawless, Mark Sealey, Dan Langan, Ross Holmes-Carroll. Subs: Sean O'Driscoll, Phil Buckley, Nathan Da Silva

To continue reading this archived article for FREE,
please just kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.