“The whole review process was just as upsetting for us as when we first lost our baby, because we just couldn’t get the truth out of (the HSE).”
- Sarah Jane Burns, whose baby Millie was one of the victims of the substandard care at the maternity unit at Portlaoise hospital.
“You’ve bought those drugs from a drug dealer, drug dealers who are quite prepared to kill, torture or maim people - that’s the people you’re supporting.”
- Judge Catherine Staines, addressing people caught with drugs at Electric Picnic.
“I was contacted by a man recently who was put into emergency accommodation in Laois, who was forced to share a bedroom with three strangers, and a woman who is in a hostel in Mullingar with her four-year-old son because her home is being repossessed.”
- Cllr Aidan Mullins calling for more council effort on the housing crisis.
“This is exactly what our committee and our parent body have been fighting for, a brand new, state of the art special school, where our children will be treated with the same dignity and respect as those in the mainstream of society.”
- Michael Gorman, chairman of St Francis Special School New Building Sub-Committee, as plans start in the new building.
“At the moment, there are 90 priests ministering in our diocese, 27 of them are over 75. This stark figure points to the clear realisation that unless there is a radical reappraisal of what a parish community should be, how it should be organised, co-ordinated, funded and ministered, there can be no real progress.”
- Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin Denis Nulty, on the impact of a shortage of priests in Laois and other counties.
“I would ask you to end your policy of clamping until such time as you're able to provide adequate parking. Some people find that the only space free is a staff space, and they get clamped. It happened to an elderly couple going to a Dublin hospital, and a young mother, and they all had to wait hours to get declamped.”
- Cllr Caroline Dwane Stanley calls on Irish Rail to stop clamping communters in Portlaoise.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.