Search

28 Nov 2021

Science class acid incident in Laois school

 Science class acid incident in Laois school

A small number of students were hospitalised after an incident involving acid in the science room at Heywood Community School.

Laois Fire and Rescue Service, gardaí and ambulance service attended the scene on Friday, February 15.

Principal Philip Bowe confirmed that a simple accident, involving the splashing of acid, caused injuries to the necks of a number of students.

First aid was administered by staff and, following policy, all emergency services and parents of those involved were contacted.

The students were discharged from hospital later that evening with minor injuries.

Separately, Portlaoise and Mountmellick fire crews attended a fire at a derelict vacant property in Beechfield estate, Portlaoise last Saturday evening. This was the second fire at the premises in less than three months.

A senior fire officer told the Leinster Express that the shed at the back of a vacant house was on fire. He added that there was a fire at the house itself just before Christmas. The house was left burnt out and derelict.

No injuries were reported.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.