TWO Portlaoise men convicted of an assault in which the injured party was knocked unconscious have been put on probation and ordered to pay compensation.
Damien Haslam, 120 St Brigid’s Place, and John Lewis, 98 St Brigid’s Place, were convicted of assault causing harm, at Main Street, Portlaoise, on September 19 last year.
Inspector Martin Harrington gave evidence that the defendants were observed committing the offence on garda CCTV footage at 2.18am on that date. The injured party was knocked unconscious and suffered facial injuries.
Defence for Haslam, Ms Elaine Dunne said her client was handing in a letter of apology. She said her client was “not a fighting man” and was usually of a quiet nature, but he had a lot to drink on the night. Ms Dunne said her client claimed he had been jostled earlier by the injured party, and he had also experienced the breakdown of a relationship.
Defence for Lewis, Mr Philip Meagher also handed in a letter of apology on behalf of his client.
Judge Catherine Staines put the matter back to February 7 next year, for a victim impact statement and a probation report on both defendants. She ordered both men to have €1,000 compensation in court on that date, and warned them that she was making no promises but she would consider suspending their sentences.