THE oldest pub in Portlaoise is set to get a makeover, with an application lodged with Laois County Council for permission to extend Humes public house on the town’s Main Street.
This well-known and revered local establishment was first opened by the Hume family in 1863, back when the county town still went by the name of ‘old Maryborough’.
A corner, multiple-bay, two-storey, rendered former house built in 1860, the pub continued to be run by the Hume family for five generations until it was eventually sold in 2004.
The current applicant, Mr Pat Lonegan has now applied to extend the business.
It is proposed to demolish the existing rear single storey residential accommodation and public toilet facilities, and erect a single storey extension, to provide new lounge bar with associated servery facilities, new male, female and disabled toilets, the relocation of a keg chiller and female toilets to within the existing outbuilding and all associated site works.
Located at 106 Main Street, at the junction of Well Road and Main Street known locally as ‘Humes Corner’, the present structure dates to the period when it first became a licensed premises and is a protected structure in the County and Portlaoise Local Area Plan.
An archaeological and architectural heritage appraisal carried out by Byrne, Mullins & Associates, archaeological and historical heritage consultants based in Naas, said that it is not considered likely that any significant impacts will occur from the new development with respect to architectural heritage.
A decision is now due from Laois County Council by March 13.