Army on duty in Mountmellick to help with clean up.
Roads have reopened in Mountmellick and Portarlington while the Laois County Council, Laois Civil Defence and soldiers remain on duty to help anyone affected by the flooding that hit the towns and surrounding areas last week.
In its flood response update, Laois County Council advised that the roads around Portarlington, including the road between Mountmellick and Portarlington, are now open to traffic.
"Members of the Defence Forces and Laois Civil Defence are still deployed in Mountmellick assisting with the clean-up." Kieran Kehoe, Director of Services told the Leinster Express.
The Council’s Housing Service and the Department of Social Protection are continuing to provide support and assistance to those affected by the floods.
Mr Kehoe said that anyone who requires support including emergency housing, dealing with the aftermath at their properties or any other humanitarian need can call to the Humanitarian Aid Centre at Wolfe Tone Court Mountmellick.
This service will continue to be provided at the Centre until 2 pm today (Saturday). Mr Kehoe said the centre may remain open for a number of hours longer to provide help if needed.
Laois County Council's Incident Response Team remains operational.
If an emergency arises people should call 999.
Scores of de-humidifiers and skips have been distributed around the town as householders and businesses continue the clear up in the wake of this week's flooding which devastated Mountmellick.
The flooding and response will be discussed by councillors and officials at the November monthly meeting of Laois County Council.