Chip pan fire leaves Laois home 'badly damaged'

Michelle Hogan

Reporter:

Michelle Hogan

Warning against chip pans after fire in Laois home

A fire in a Portlaoise house last week was caused by a chip pan and left the kitchen 'badly damaged'.

Portlaoise fire crews attended the scene of a house fire last Saturday afternoon around 4.30 pm. 

The fire was put out before it spread to the whole house and no one was injured but the kitchen was left damaged. 

Chief Fire Officer at Laois County Fire and Rescue Service, Declan Power, told the Leinster Express about the danger of chip pans/deep fat fryers. He has warned the public against the use of chip pans. He said they are too dangerous due to 'uncontrolled heat'. 

The Department of Housing has the following advice for chip pan/deep fat fryer use:

Use only purpose-made deep fat fryers, not saucepans
Avoid/take extreme care when using "chip pans" as they are a major fire hazard.
Never fill the chip pan/deep fat fryer more than one-third full of oil or fat.
Test the oil/fat temperature by placing a small piece of bread in it. If it crisps quickly the oil/fat is ready.
If the oil/fat is smoking then it is too hot. Turn the heat off and let it cool down before starting again.
Never move a hot chip pan/deep fat fryer.
Never leave a chip pan/deep fat fryer unattended.
Never try to cook chips when you have taken alcohol as people tend to fall asleep when waiting for the oil/fat to heat up. This is a major cause of fires and deaths.
Using a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer or switching to oven chips can prevent most of these fires.