Clonaslee prove too strong for Clonmore in Cup

Two first half goals from John Molloy and two in the second-half from substitute Daniel Larkin helped Clonaslee Utd to a comfortable win away to Clonmore Utd last Sunday morning.

Two first half goals from John Molloy and two in the second-half from substitute Daniel Larkin helped Clonaslee Utd to a comfortable win away to Clonmore Utd last Sunday morning.

CCFL Division 1 Cup Round 1


Clonmore Utd 0

Clonaslee Utd 6


This was the third attempt to play this game as it had twice fallen foul of the weather. This time however conditions were ideal for football and on the day Clonaslee proved too strong for an understrength Clonmore Utd who only had 11 players available due to injuries in the squad.

Clonaslee were 3-0 ahead at the break and while the home side were more in the game at the start of the second-half, Clonaslee added three more goals in the final 15 minutes to wrap up the win.

Clonaslee started the game brightly and after nine minutes they came close to taking the lead but Darren Hogan headed the ball wide from close range with a gaping goal in front of him.

Clonaslee continued to pile on the pressure and the inevitable goal eventually came after 14 minutes when a ball in from Conor Hogan was controlled well by John Molloy and after a nice turn he calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Five minutes later they came close to extending their lead but Glen McEvoy shot just wide. With 23 minutes on the clock, Clonaslee doubled their lead. Glen McEvoy made good progress down the wing and his well flighted cross was met by John Molly who powered his header to the back of the net. The third came four minutes later with McEvoy this time the scorer after good work from Niall Hogan.

On the half hour mark the lead looked destined to be four but Clonmore goalkeeper Paul Carroll pulled off a fine double save. First he denied Glen McEvoy and he was quickly back to his feet to save from John Molloy. The chances kept coming for Clonaslee with Niall Hogan just flicking a header wide from a corner and then ‘keeper Carroll denied John Rigney.

Just before half-time Clonaslee were awarded a penalty but again Paul Carroll pulled off a great stop down to his right to keep out Conor Gorman’s well struck kick.

After half-time Clonmore Utd came more into the game and they created some half chances but Clonaslee goalkeeper Seamus Rosney was rarely troubled.

He did have to make one good stop after Clonmore’s best move of the game when Brian Farrell and Kieran Hallwood combined well to open up the defence but the ‘keeper did well to make the save. Clonmore were reduced to ten men for just over ten minutes when John Dwyer was forced off with a painful injury. He later returned to the action.

On the hour mark John Molloy came within inches of completing his hat-trick but his curling shot rebounded off the post. With 15 minutes to go, Clonaslee eventually extended their lead when the impressive Darren Hogan headed in at the back post.

Two minutes later Clonmore almost pulled one back when Kieran Halewood blocked down an attempted clearnace from goalkeeper Seamus Rosney but the ball just went wide. Clonaslee added two further goals in the closing minutes with substitute Daniel Larkin on target twice. His first came after a good build up and he applied a neat finish past Seamus Rosney.

His second came from a corner when he hit a specualtive shot from the edge of the box after the ball broke to him and it somehow found its way through a forest of legs to the back of the net past the unsighted Paul Carroll.


Clonmore Utd: Paul Carroll; Shane Thornton, Darren Murray, John Dwyer, Barry Walsh, Gary Raleigh, Brian Farrell, Adrian Minnock, Alan Doolin, Kieran Halewood, Ciaran Boland.

Clonaslee Utd: Seamus Rosney; Conor Hogan, Pat O’Brien, Darren Hogan, Keith Hogan, Conor Gorman, Niall Hogan, John Rigney, Glen McEvoy, John Molloy, Paddy Dunne. Subs: 12 Gerard Dunne for Paddy Dunne (30mins), 14 Daniel Larkin for Pat O’Brien (52mins), 13 James Rigney for Paddy Dunne (67mins),

Referee: PJ Higgins