Borris-Kilcotton prove far too strong for Ballinakill Gaels in U-21 hurling quarter-final

Borris-Kilcotton 4-33 Ballinakill Gaels 0-4

The Borris in Ossory Kilcotton "Drive for Five" against The Harps Gaels in the Minor Hurling A final at O'Moore Park was certainly some comeback after being 12 points down at half time.Picture: Alf Harvey/

Borris-Kilcotton saw off the challenge of Ballinakill Gaels

Borris-Kilcotton strolled in to the semi-finals of the U-21 Championship with a comprehensive rout of Ballinakill Gaels in a one-sided affair in Shanahoe on Sunday morning.

The match-up of Borris-Kilcotton and Ballinakill Gaels was somewhat of a mismatch to say the least. A strong Borris-Kilcotton outfit, backboned by a string of players that played leading roles in Borris-Kilcotton’s first senior county title this year, simply steamrolled Ballinakill Gaels by a massive margin.

But, despite the heavy defeat and near-endless margin they trailed by, Ballinakill Gaels still battled for every ball and battled for pride’s sake throughout.

In the opening ten minutes alone, Borris-Kilcotton notched seven points to the scoreboard courtesy of Aaron Dunphy (3), Eoin Fitzpatrick (2) and Joe Campion (2) as Ballinakill Gaels struggled to come to terms with the pace thus far.

Ballinakill Gaels went on to register their only score of the half shortly after when Seamus Fitzpatrick converted a free, but Borris-Kilcotton went straight back on the attack and notched 3-1 in four minutes to signal the end of the game as a contest. A brace of goals from full-forward, Stephen Phelan, and a single from Aaron Dunphy left Ballinakill Gaels in limbo.

In the final ten minutes of the half a further six points followed for the eventual winners with Dunphy, Campion and Oisin Fleming leading the way as they held a 3-15 to 0-1 advantage at the break.

The second half was much of the same as the opening half with Borris-Kilcotton simply out-muscling their opponents. Borris-Kilcotton hit 1-6 in the opening eight minutes of the half with the goal coming from Dunphy, before Ballinakill re-opened their account for the half through a Fitzpatrick free.

Borris-Kilcotton pressed forward yet again and hit Ballinakill for another four points before Ballinakill Gaels replied with two of their own – both coming from the hurl of midfielder Sean Downey.

Borris-Kilcotton closed out the game with a flurry of scores right up until referee John Lalor sounded the final whistle to put Borris-Kilcotton through to the semi-finals.


Scorers: Aaron Dunphy 2-13 (1-5 free) Stephen Phelan 2-0, Joe Campion, Eoin Fitzpatrick and Oisin Fleming 0-4 each, Conor Kilbane 0-3, Stephen Dunphy, Conor Quinlan, Willie Abbott, David Scully and Jamie Dooley 0-1 each.
Team: Donal Brennan; Ben Quinlan, Conor Quinlan, DJ Kelly; Bill Meade, Colm Stapleton, Conor Kilbane; Stephen Dunphy, Stephen Campion; Daire Quinlan, Joe Campion, Eoin Fitzpatrick; Aaron Dunphy, Stephen Phelan, Oisin Fleming. SUBS: Mark Hanlon for Brennan (HT); Dean Carey for Stapleton (35 mins); Jamie Dooley for Campion (35 mins); Willie Abbott for Phelan (39 mins); David Scully for D Quinlan (39 mins).


Scorers: Seamus Fitzgerald (frees) and Sean Downey (0-1 free) 0-2 each.
Team: Paul Simms; Sean Lalot, Michael Moran, Declan Murphy; Shane Delaney, Lir McDonald, Dylan Byrne Gray; Declan Foyle, Sean Downey; James Fitzgerald, Shane Fitzpatrick, Brian McGrath; James McDonald, Fintan Leonard, Conor Kealy. SUBS: David Farrell for Sean Lalor (24 mins).

Referee: John Lalor (Shanahoe)

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.