Goals swing final in favour of

Borris-Kilcotton claimed the JHC ‘C’ title last Monday night, as three goals proved crucial in seeing off the threat of Mountmellick in O’Moore Park.

Borris-Kilcotton claimed the JHC ‘C’ title last Monday night, as three goals proved crucial in seeing off the threat of Mountmellick in O’Moore Park.

In an entertaining game, Borris-Kilcotton just had the ability to get scores at crucial times, with two of their goals coming either side of half time to really upset Mountmellick’s attempts to stay in the game.

With eight different scorers on the day as well, it was a fine team effort from Borris-Kilcotton, although it took them a while to settle into the game.

It was Mountmellick who opened the scoring in the sixth minute, with Ian Delaney pointing from 20 yards out. Kevin Dunphy added a free moments later, and a full 15 minutes would elapse before Borris-Kilcotton registered a score.

Niall Jones provided it, as he flicked the ball to the net just as David Fennelly was about to clear it on the goal line. Dunphy drew Mountmellick level with a point from distance, and they went ahead once more thanks to a free from Ian Moore.

Tony Doran tapped over a free in response for Borris-Kilcotton, before Trevor Abbot scored an excellent point from out on the right wing.

Neither side could really take hold of the game, and Dunphy pointed to get Mountmellick level once again, but Borris-Kilcotton made a big play for victory after that.

In injury time, Ronan Kelly landed a long-range free, and then Trevor Abbott rattled the back of the net to send them to the dressing room leading 2-3 to 0-5.

Borris-Kilcotton kept up the pressure on the restart, with substitute Niall Abraham firing over the bar from distance. Three minutes later, they had the ball in the back of the net once again, as Ronan Kelly’s ‘65 landed in the penalty area, and Damien Kelly pounced to sweep the ball to the back of the net.

A pointed free from Tony Doran and a fine effort from play by Redmond Murray had Borris-Kilcotton 3-6 to 0-5 ahead, and it was a long way back for Mountmellick from there. They tried hard to close the gap, but Borris-Kilcotton had done enough.

SCORERS - Borris-Kilcotton: Trevor Abbot 1-1, Ronan Kelly 0-3 (0-2 frees, 0-1 ‘65), Damien Kelly, Niall Jones 1-0, Niall Abraham 0-2, Redmond Murray, Stephen Campion 0-1. Mountmellick: Kevin Dunphy 0-4 (0-2 frees), Ian Moore 0-3 (frees), Ian Delaney 0-1.

BORRIS-KILCOTTON: Danny Brennan; Brian Comerford, Barry Foyle, Denis Coss; Ciaran Sweeney, Ronan Kelly, DJ Kelly; Michael Bowe, Stephen Campion; Damien Kelly, Niall Jones, Trevor Abbott; Patrick Sweeney, Tony Doran, Redmond Murray. Subs: Niall Abraham for Sweeney (half time), Pat Fitzpatrick for Bowe (53 mins), Tom Kelly for Coss (54 mins), David Kelly for Murray (56 mins), Ollie Quinlan for Doran (59 mins).

MOUNTMELLICK: Donal Grehan; David Allen, Andrew Dunne, Chris Grehan; Daniel Williams, Darren Young, David Fennelly; Redmond McEvoy, Ian Moore; Stephen Conroy, Ian Delaney, Kevin Dunphy; Kevin Scott, Paddy Simms, Kenneth Young. Subs: Diarmuid Grehan for Young (35 mins), Eoin Culliton for Scott (35 mins), Mick Brodir for C Grehan (46 mins)

Referee: Alan Doheny (Castletown-Slieve Bloom)

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.