As part of Laois Mental Health Week Mary Kavanagh 200YTT will present a workshop in the Castle Arms Hotel on Monday, October 6, from 10am – 11.30am. Yogilibrium’s ethos is geared towards attaining balance for body, mind and spirit in an accessible and playful way. Bring warm comfortable clothes, a blanket and a yoga mat if you have one. Booking essential, telephone 057 8674363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Free of charge.
The Parish lotto with a jackpot of €17,900 was won on Monday night September 22. With over ninety weeks without winning the jackpot it was won by Michael Fitzpatrick, Lower Tubberboe, Durrow who numbers 3,6,12, 24 were a match with the numbers drawn from the drum. We all wish Michael the best with his jackpot and we thank everyone who supported this lotto jackpot of nearly two years. The lotto will now return to a jackpot of €1,000 and increasing by €150 every week if is not won. The lotto of October 6 will be held in Durrow Inn with a possible jackpot of €1,150. All tickets must be handed in before 9.30 pm on the night of the draw to be included in that jackpot.
Durrow /Cullohill Parish Anglers will hold their last competition of the year on Sunday October 5 and it will be a pike competition for the John Dwyer Memorial Cup. All members will receive a “text” from the club giving all details of the competition in the coming week. For more details contact club Secretary Michael Walsh. The result of this competition will decide the final placing in the Fisherman of the Year competition. At present there are four anglers within three points of each other in the race for this title and no doubt all of these anglers will be doing their best to become Angler of the Year. Best of luck to all.
The Swan Road Action Group received good news recently that they were to be included this year in the Laois Community Involvement Scheme (a scheme in the community contributes 20% of the cost of a project and the Council contributes the remaining 80%). Thanks to the hard work of the committee, the support of the local community with our fundraising events, a generous contribution of €700 from Durrow Development Forum and €500 from The Harps GAA Club we were in a position to contribute €3200 towards the overall cost of extending the footpath on the Swan Road to the end of the Harps grounds. Work will commence shortly. In the meantime any work carried out by the local community such as the removal of trees or stumps etc… will result in the footpath being extended further. This will be of great benefit to all in our area.
The Swan Road Action Group would like to thank all who helped in any way to make this project possible. It is another prime example of what a little community spirit and hard work can achieve. Of course we are not there yet but we are heading in the right direction! In the coming weeks the trees will be knocked voluntarily on the site of the new path. If there is anyone who may be in a position to remove the stumps of the trees please call Fred Townsend (087) 6892323 or any member of the committee as soon as possible. Your help will result in the extension of the path further out the road. Thanks again to all involved to date.
Due to the decline in Church cleaners for reasons of health etc. We urgently need more men and women with one hour to spare per week to come on the rota. We try to have four in a group, so the more groups we have the less you will be called on during the year. Call: Betty Walsh or Angela Drennan or any of the volunteers with your name and you will be notified through the newsletter which month you will be required to volunteer. Many thanks.
Meals on Wheels assistant required on the local community employment scheme (FAS). Duties will include the preparation and cooking of food for meals on wheels. This is a developmental opportunity, no experience is necessary. Accredited training will be provided to support your career. Please contact (057) 8632900 quoting reference 869557 or contact the local community employment office on (057) 8736870.
Durrow Bridge Club will resume on Wednesday October 1 at 7.45 pm in the Presentation Centre. We look forward to meeting all our friends/ players on the night.
A Christmas Craft Fair will be held in The Castle Arms Hotel, Durrow on Saturday, November 8 11am to 6pm. Crafts people from all over counties Laois and Kilkenny will present their unique Christmas gifts at affordable prices. Come, Browse and Buy!
The Irish Motor Neuron Disease Association thank all who contributed to their Church Collection in Durrow and Cullohill on September 6 / 7. €1,110 was collected.
Fifty years ago Laois minor Hurling team won the Leinster championship after defeating Kilkenny by 4-9 to 3-8. On the team were two local hurlers Hugh Sheppard and Jim Delehunty. To mark the occasion there will be a function held in O’Loughlins Hotel on Saturday night. Congratulations to Hugh and Jim and we wish you both many more years of good health and happiness.