Garda headquarters has issued a snow traffic alert for roads and motorways in Laois, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath.
Gardaí say driving conditions are poor in the midlands on the M4, M7 and M8 with emergency services clearing a collision on the M8 between Junction 3 and 4 Northbound. Motorists are asked to exercise caution and reduce speed. - MORE BELOW TWEET
The Gardaí urge motorists to remember:
• It takes longer to stop a vehicle in snow or on icy roads so slow down and allow extra distance between you and the vehicle in front.
• Keep a sharp lookout for pedestrians, cyclists and other vulnerable road users.
• Keep your windows clear of snow during your journey.
• Manoeuvre gently; avoid harsh braking, acceleration or steering as these can induce a skid.
• Use the highest gear possible to reduce the engine revs as this will help avoid wheel spin.
• When travelling downhill, especially through a series of bends, select a low gear as early as possible and allow your speed to reduce using the brake pedal gently.
Gardaí reminded the public that there is a status Yellow Snow and Ice warning for Leinster and Tipperary issued by Met Eireann which is valid until 8am tomorrow.
For further advice see www.winterready.ie