St Joseph's ease past Arles-Kilcruise

ACFL Division 1A

Greg Mulhall


Greg Mulhall


St Joseph's ease past Arles-Kilcruise

ACFL Division 1A 

St Joseph's 2 - 12

Arles-Kilcruise 1 - 6 


St Joseph’s cruised to their second League win on the trot with a routine victory over Arles-Kilcruise in Kellyville on Tuesday night.

An injury-time goal from Chris Conway glossed the scoreline somewhat as Arles-Kilcruise struggled to make an impact for large parts of the game.

They trailed 2-6 to 0-3 at half-time, and Chris O’Donovan’s dismissal five minutes after the restart compounded a frustrating night for Larry Wall’s men as St Joseph’s made it back-to-back wins following their opening round defeat to The Heath.

Arles-Kilcruise drew first blood, Fran Egan converting a free from the right wing four minutes in. St Joseph’s took the reigns from here, scoring 1-6 in the ten minutes thereafter to pull away.

Laois footballer Adam Campion roamed forward to set-up corner-forward Seamus Farrelly who fired over from close-range to set them underway. A minute later the first green flag of the evening arrived, Jack Lacey attempted to fist over the bar but his effort fell short and scrambled on the line, leaving Josh Lacey to crash home the loose ball. Points followed from Farrelly (2), Brian Daly, Enda Butler and full-forward Noel Garvan assisted Daly’s short free over the bar as St Joseph’s went eight points ahead after just fifteen minutes.

Kilcruise went close after the quarter of an hour mark, a superb quick-free from Dave Conway found Stephen Miller, but his shot off his left boot trailed wide of the right-hand post. Fran Egan slotted his second free of the evening to close the gap to seven points.

Thirteen minutes passed without a score, St. Joseph’s striking for their second goal of the half on the stroke of half-time to break the deadlock through Noel Garvan. Kilcruise pulled one back through a Fran Egan point to close thegap to nine points at the interval.

The Arles-Kilcruise cause was dealt a further blow five minutes after the resumption, midfielder Chris O'Donovan receiving his marching orders.

St Joseph's five points in the ten minutes thereafter, Seamus Farrelly setting the ball rolling with thirty-six minutes played. Josh Lacey, Bernard Wheatley and James Kelly all hitting the target while Brian Daly slotted a gem from the outside of his boot.

Arles-Kilcruise battled- back with three points all from Dave Conway frees, before Farrelly rounded-off the St Joseph's scoring with his fifth of the evening.

Arles-Kilcruise grabbed a late consolation goal through Chris Conway right on the full-time whistle.


St Joseph's

Scorers: Sea,us Farrelly 0-5, Noel Garvan and Josh Lacey 1-1 each, Brian Daly 0-2, (0-1f), Enda Butler, Bernard Wheatley and James Kelly 0-1 each.

Team: Ray Kealy; Aidan Brennan, Tom Dunne, Niall Brennan; James Kelly, Adam Campion, Jack Lacey; Brian Daly, Bernard Wheatley; Mikey Dempsey, Enda Butler, Josh Lacey; Conor Kealy, Noel Garvan, Seamus Farrelly. Subs: Murtagh Confron for Daly (46 mins), Matty Campion for Josh Lacey (47 mins), Noel Leech for A Brennan (50 mins), Willie McDonald for Jack Lacey (53 mins).


Scorers: Fran Egan (2f) and Dave Conway (3f) 0-3 each, Chris Conway 1-0

Team: Colm Munnelly; Cialann Mulhall, Ciaran Lawler, Paudge Conway; PJ Lawler, JP Conway, Conal Brennan; Chris O'Donovan, Kevin Meaney; Francis Egan, Brendan Conway, Stephen Miller; Chris Conway, Dave Donway, Dylan Waters. Subs: Jason McLoughlin for Conal Brennan (HT), Anthony McElroy for Paudge Conway (37 mins), Liam Whelan for PJ Lawler (58 mins).

REFEREE: Brendan Hickey (Graiguecullen)